Special Interest Groups are open to all paid members and meet monthly November through April. Summer groups meet during the months of May-October.
Meeting dates, times, programs, hostesses and locations are found in the monthly branch newsletter, The EMBers. In lieu of face-to-face meetings, some Special Interest Groups will conduct their meetings on Zoom.
- Great Decisions meets on the second Friday on the month at 9:15 a.m. in members’ homes. We discuss critical issues of global concern, using materials published by the Foreign Policy Association.
- Chair: Mary Hung
- Public Policy meets monthly the third Wednesday at 10:00 a.m.in a member’s home to explore and discuss the impact of public policies on women and girls and how to be advocates for equity.
- Chair: Marilyn Kunde
Diversity and Inclusiveness Initiative
- Initiative will drive AAUW values of promoting diversity and inclusiveness through education, discussion, and programs that highlight cultural, racial, and ethnic differences. Workgroup meeting, date, times and members to be determined.
- Chair: Bev Byrd
- This group meets monthly on the fourth Thursday of the month. The format varies monthly between such hosted in a members home with the theme and menu selected by the hostess where members prepare the planned menu. Or a restaurant is chosen by the members with the criteria of diverse cultural experiences.
- Chair: Lynn Peters
- Members volunteer to be the hostess for a month where she selects a date, time and restaurant for the group. The hostess makes the reservation and each member is responsible for the cost of her meal.
- This group meets four times a year AT either a restaurant of their choice OR a members home to enjoy different cuisines. Two meetings include members spouses or partners, which is unique to this Special Interest Group.
- Chair: Carla Burman and Kay Eakin
Summer Lunch Bunch (May through October)
- The monthly hostess responsible makes the reservation at selected restaurant where each members responsible for her lunch’s cost. The date and time is mutually agreed upon by the group.
- Chair: Marje Perkins
- One group member chooses a book she has read and reviews it for the group, which meets monthly on the third Wednesday at 9:15 a.m. in the LW Cafe.Through reading new authors and inclusiveness, they seek to keep the members involved .
- Chair: Pat Nixon
Ladies of Literature
- Books are selected by the group and discussed in a members home. They meet monthly on the third Thursday in a members’ home at 1:00 p.m.
- Chair: Joanna Larson
Morning Book Group
- Books with diverse authors and genres are selected by the members for discussions that align with the values of the branch’s initiatives. Meetings are held monthly on the third Thursday at 9:30 am in a member’s home.
- Co-Chairs: Bev Byrd, Judy Ruth
Books to Screen
- In October, members select 3 books that have been made into a movie that will be read and discussed during the year. The date and time to meet will be determined by the member who selects the book. This format requires a 2 month commitment per book and movie. The book is read one month and the movie is viewed and discussed the following month.
- Chair: Rhysa Davis
Summer Book Club (May through October)
- Summer Book Club convenes monthly on the third Thursday at 10:00 am in the Anniversary Room. Books selected by the group and encompass different authors, genres and issues.
- Chair: Marje Perkins
AAUW Quilters and Crafters
- The group works on education, charity projects, and visiting quilt stores with lunch along the way. The group meets monthly on the second Monday in the Leisure World quilting room at 1:00 p.m.
- Chair: Judy Shahenian